Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Flower Kings: Adam and Eve

Adam and Eve
By: The Flower Kings
Year: 2004


The Flower Kings have often been referred to as the poster child for European progressive rock. Not prog metal, just rock. I hadn’t heard anything by this band prior to this album, but I was familiar with the work of Roine Stolt on the Transatlantic project and was interested enough to pick up the album. Also, their addition of Daniel Gildenlow as a vocalist intrigued me; I had enjoyed his work in Pain of Salvation and was curious to see how “Adam and Eve” would play out.

Sadly, I was initially disappointed in this album. It wasn’t what I’d hoped; maybe it was because I was coming off a big metal kick, maybe it was because Euro-prog just wasn’t the scene for me, but I found it less-than-inspiring and kind of insipid.

But after a few more listens, I began to get into the music more. It’s incredibly layered; you have to pick it apart to really enjoy it. The more I would listen to it, the more I would come to enjoy it. Euro prog works; it’s certainly not my favorite, but The Flower Kings have at least upped themselves in my eyes.

Tracks to catch: In “Love Supreme” the words are a bit silly and preachy, but it’s got some catchy melodies and good sounds. “A Vampire’s View” is a bit quirky in its sounds, but remains one of my favorite songs on the disc. The title track “Adam and Eve” has a lot to be said for it; the message of our own materialism and foibles is timely.

Objective Rating: 7 out of 10
Overall, the production on this album sounds good. There really aren’t any troubles with that; the guitar solos, however, are uninspired, and I found the use of three vocalists at different times and in different songs to be a distraction rather than a benefit. Of the three vocalists, Gildenlow puts on the best show; those tracks featuring him as singer stick out as the best.

Biased Rating: 6 out of 10
I really WANT to like this album. It’s a decent effort; it’s got some real high points to it. But after all the hype I heard about the Flower Kings being the “cutting edge” of progressive rock, I expected more of a cut. It’s an okay album if you’ve grown tired of the real kings of prog for awhile and you’d like a break, but it’s not a disc that gains tons of time in my stereo.

1 comment:

  1. Great review man. I have been tempted to get this CD, just because of the love it has gotten on some boards. Sounds like I will be passing.

    ReplyDelete